Amplitude Studios is in a great place right now. Endless Legend continues to have a devout following. Dungeons of the Endless pounced upon the masses out of nowhere and was warmly received. Sega recently added Amplitude to their publishing roster. Details about Endless Space 2 continue to tantalize even the most innocent of bystanders. And, above all, their new Games2Gether platform encourages gamer involvement in the development of the studioâ€™s future titles.
Amplitudeâ€™s attention to Endless Legend specifically illustrates the work ethic this developer practices. Each of the gameâ€™s three major DLCs introduces a new faction or addition that alters the playerâ€™s way of 4X-ing his way to victory.
Endless Legend: Tempest is the latest DLC and is currently in the process of initiating a closed beta. Details continue to trickle out from the devs, including this most recent post on the siteâ€™s forums. And what we see here looks so incredibly promising and so incredibly fun. Some of the highlights include:
- The oceans, where once they were just obstacles to overcome, will become alive with activity.
- The â€œMorgawrâ€ faction will not only make the thrive on water but will need to manipulate minor factions on land if they want to make any headway there. (This reminds me of how The Cultists operate.)
- Sea Fortresses are buildings that land-based factions can sack in order to gain an advantage over the seas as well as the Morgawr.
- Naval Battles will be a completely different beast compared to land battles. This means new naval units! This means embarked units are hella vulnerable. This means any naval endeavor is shaping up to be a â€˜high risk, high rewardâ€™ venture.
- Sea Weather! Details are a little fuzzy here, but Amplitude intends to make weather enough of a factor that it will include its very own mapmode! This is more than just the Winter/not-Winter cycle that is already in place. Weâ€™re talking wind strength and direction. Maybe lighting storms. Maybe fog banks. Weâ€™ll have to keep a keen eye on this.
There is no set release date for Tempest yet. But, as mentioned above, there may still be an opportunity to participate in the closed beta. Whatever your prerogative, Endless Legend and its existing content is available on Steam and GMG.