It’s been up for a couple of days now–well, maybe a day. I don’t know how Id pulled it off, but I signed up and was playing in less than five minutes. Some interesting things:
- You can play in a browser window or fullscreen
- There’s a ten minute skill test with a bot that seems to work really well. In my first match I played average (which is good for me in Quake).
- There’s a friend system (I’m agentgray).
- Leaderboards, rankings, full stats (which didn’t seem to update for me right away), etc.
- It streams the game data in the background while you play.
- There was no slowdown. It almost seemed too fast.
- It even worked on my low-end laptop.
- Seeing ads by Dell in the maps actually worked. The placement of some were good for laughs.
- I would almost consider this casual Quake or they’ve found a way to make Quake casual.